Wednesday, May 7, 2008

2 things

1.  Jer's bad cholesterol was too high to count again. and his triglycerides were over 500. lower than the first time, but still way way too high. good thing dr. put him on his meds again, but a different prescription. he has 3 months to get it all down. question one: what can we do (other than eat beans) to get  his good cholesterol up? all people ever tell me is eat beans...there has to be more than that. question two: how big is his potential for a heart attack with high cholesterol but good blood pressure?

2. Luke Thompson Music. I stayed with his family in NZ in 2001. he's a cool guy. i know some of you know him and will want to buy his new album that came out not too long ago. i bought it on itunes. 

4 comments:

tlawwife said...

Terry had really high triglycerides and bad cholesterol. The medicine works (if he remembers to take it). They told us he should stop eating sweets and stop the dr pepper. Well you know how that went.

Anonymous said...

I read recently in Runner's World that lots of nuts have the potential to LDL and raise HDL. Also, regular exercise is supposed to help lower everything, isn't it? Didn't the doctor give you guys any recommendations besides "Here, take this"?

Anonymous said...

You won't like what I'm about to say, but......

This is about the age at which my cholesterol issues started. I fought for years to try to manage it through diet and exercise alone. I couldn't and can't. Plain and simple. Sure diet and exercise are huge.....genetics is even bigger and you already know the family members this has effected....Bear, Chick, Jimmy, John and now me. I was talking with my cardiologist once and I asked him, point blank.....Is it really more an issue, for me, of WHEN the heart attack happens and not IF? The answer.....yes. If I could give ONE word of advice it is this.....do NOT, DO NOT let his weight get above 185....EVER!!! Whatever it takes, do it. The added weight contributes to the cholesterol issue, strain on the heart and MAJOR contributing factor to diabetes later on. And diabetes is another MAJOR risk factor for heart disease...probably more so than gunk in the blood.

We'll talk more this weekend.

Anonymous said...

BTW, what meds is he on?