Friday, July 25, 2008

Library fun

These are 2 crafts that I did this week at the library. There are 2 click beetles and a ladybug. June stole the ladybug just before I took the picture, so I had to steal it back...temporarily. He used to be more red too, but the marker rubbed off. 

This is a conversation with an old lady today.

Lady: I'm from Little Rock, do y'all having any of those "Black Arthur" books.
Me: Well, I can look. Is that the series name or title....?
Lady: No, books written by black people.

To top it off, she had just talked her dr. into letting her leave the hospital a little while. She apparently was bleeding internally and might have cancer. They didn't know yet. He should NOT have let her go. She staggered in and around and kept talking about being dizzy. I offered a chair, but she said no b/c she wouldn't be able to get up. Carol Ann also saw her at the drug store before the library and she about ran into everything on the way out. Carol did not think she'd make it there. She still had to go back to the drug store. Hopefully, someone got her back to the hospital. We didn't think someone who couldn't walk straight should be driving!

Just so you know, we don't categorize our books by race. Nor do we pay much attention to the race of the AUTHORS. Good thing Carol Ann knew the names of a few black AUTHORS. I can imagine LR has a poster or something of famous black AUTHORS, but our small library has only enough walls to cover in books.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a funny old lady! It's amazing how the world-views of previous generations can amuse while causing so much awkward discomfort.

Rachel said...

wait-- you don't shelve books according to the Aurthur'sv ethnicity?

Leslie said...

oh man, I just laughed out loud here in my little workspace in Korea. I am considering reading it aloud to my co-workers, but I doubt most of them would get it. haha Now, I do have to ask, what was the old lady's race? I'm just curious...