Thursday, March 19, 2009

Feijoa

So, my favorite fruit is the feijoa. It's very common here.  According to wikipedia, it has been seen to grow in a few places in the states, but I know I'd never heard of it there. Anyway, we luckily have the most amazing tree of them!  So, we will be having plenty of them this year.  I also read that they can be frozen for up to a year. Hopefully, we will freeze many to make it until next year so that I am not without too long. :-) This makes me very happy. Also, this way, when friends come visit, we can let them sample it. You can read a little about it from Wikipedia here. It says it's a sweet fruit. I would call it more tangy than sweet. Leslie is really enjoying them too! They just started falling from the tree this week, so we'll see how long it keeps up. I remember eating them on visits here in May and June, but I'm not sure if our tree will make it that long. But it has hundreds, so we'll see. We're so excited!! Here is a link to the nutritional value of them, if you're interested. So, happy am I!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

They sold them at the newest grocery store in Searcy before we moved--Harp's. I remember that feijoas reminded me of bananas sort of.

richlibrarian said...

bananas!? i always put them as a cross between a pear and a lime.